Having a roof over your head is one of the many blessings we have in our life. But what happens when your roof fails you? While general roof maintenance is an important preventative task, we tend to not think that our roof needs cleaning just like our kitchen or bathroom. Keeping an eye out for trouble signs can help prevent having to spend thousands on a roof replacement. If you watch out for these problem indications, then you can minimize how much damage your roof will have and how much you will spend.
1. You have a leak in your attic after a hard, windy rainstorm. The probable cause is leaky or inadequate shingle underlayment or your flashing is deteriorating. Flashing are the materials used to waterproof your roof. Losing this could cause more problems down the road if not fixed.
2. You have a leak in your attic after ice built up during the winter. The probable cause is again leaky or inadequate shingle underlayment or your flashing is deteriorating.
3. Your interior and/ or your exterior paint is blistering or peeling. High temperatures or high humidity because of poor attic ventilation likely causes this.
4. You have stains on your interior walls or you have seen mold and mildew growth on your interior walls. Poor shingle underlayment is the plausible cause. Replacing the drywall isn’t challenging, but that won’t fix the underlying trigger.
5. The exterior of your house is decaying, sheathing, or the siding is falling apart. This is possibly caused by poor attic ventilation.
6. You have missing, cracked, or curling shingles. This happens when your shingles have reached the end of their useful life expectancy.
7. You have dark, dirty-looking spots on your roof. This shows that your shingles are losing granules due to their age.
8. Your energy bills are excessively high and continue to climb. The underlying cause here is when you have insufficient attic ventilation. In the summer, your attic will trap in hot air causing you to use your air conditioner more. In the winter, the opposite happens: cold air gets trapped in your attic leading you to use your heater more. The air condenses creating moisture, which can drip into your insulation. This reduces its effectiveness and increases your energy bill.
Most of these problems can be fixed with a roof repair. Others require additional fixes like replacing drywall, insulation, or ventilation. Watching out for signs that your roof isn’t up to par is the easiest way to know when you have a problem. Hiring the right San Diego roofing contractor like Urbach Roofing is the best way for homeowners to know that they will get repairs done right the first time. If you think your roof needs some help, call 760-471-5065.